Hi .. I am facing a problem in mysql.

         I am getting error  'Can not open connection' at the application
side  which happens at random timings.   What i found was at whenever the
problem occurs it takes 70 secs for connecting to mysql server. The machine
is a high end quad core, 16 GB ram, dedicated for mysql

 I guess its problem is with my configurations.   My guess is like if i ve
configured some buffer to x  and when when mysql is being used it keeps
coming down and slows down connecting time for clients ( its a  wild guess )
..  So can I do something to monitor the resources/ connections/ or
something else to see what does mysql lacks when connection time reaches 70
secs or my application gets a 'Can not open connection' problem so that I
give a larger value for that thing  ..
          Certainly changing (timout's .. or something else ) in application
would solve but thats not a solution for my situation .. i have configured
max number of connections to 500 .. and the total number of connections
hardly reach 100 ..
           Any help please ..

Thanks
Karthik.