   > We do nightly backups at work just by taring the mysql directory.  In
   > my environment, that is /var/lib/mysql.

   > Like this:

   > service mysql stop
   > cd /var/lib/mysql
   > rm -rf *
   > tar zxvf file.tar
   > rm -rf ib_logfile*
   > chown -R mysql.mysql
   > service mysql start

I have followed these steps and it seems not to work.
I have re installed the mediawiki software and then I tried
to open the corresponding  wikipage, but only see empty pages.
There are several reasons for this:

    -  when the hard disk crashed the database was damaged,
       as a matter of fact when I have a look into the
       /var/lib/mysql/maqwiki
       directory most of the  files are very small in size with the
       exception of searchindex.MYD and searchindex.MYI. I
       have no idea whether this is "normal".

    -  I did not do the recover process correctly. Is there
       any "hardcore" mysql command I could use to check the
       database?

    -  the connection between the mediawiki conf and the
       data base is broken. I will ask in the mediawiki page
       about this.

Any advice and help is very much appreciated.

Uwe Brauer