Uwe Brauer wrote:

>    > We do nightly backups at work just by taring the mysql directory.  In
>    > my environment, that is /var/lib/mysql.
>
>    > Like this:
>
>    > service mysql stop
>    > cd /var/lib/mysql
>    > rm -rf *
>    > tar zxvf file.tar
>    > rm -rf ib_logfile*
>    > chown -R mysql.mysql
>    > service mysql start
>
>    > Something similar might work for you.  Somebody with more MySQL
>    > expertise than me can probably help you customize the process to your
>    > environment.
>
> Ok thanks. What I am afraid of is that in on of these OS,
> their might be some other configuration files, which might
> be located apart from the main directory say in /etc and
> then I should copy them as well.
>
> Would it be necessary in Linux to generate the db and its
> users first?
>
> Uwe Brauer

The only one I know of, for my environment, is /etc/my.cnf.  I believe
that it can be located elsewhere but you could just use 'find' to find
it.  I've broken my dev. MySQL many, many times and that's the only file
I know about outside of my data directory.  :)

I don't have any good ideas about discerning precisely what version of
MySQL was running, though.