On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Todd Lyons <tly...@ivenue.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Johan De Meersman <vegiv...@tuxera.be>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I commonly set up a tunnel to the SSH server at the office and then
> >> another tunnel from that server to my development rig, so I can run
> >> MySQL WB at home on my database at work.  Is that what you mean?
> >>

> > Pretty much, yeah. I've not got just the one database, though, so it's
> > usually too much of a bother to set up all the tunnels, and I just SSH
> > straight through and use the commandline :-)
> >
> > Still, the SSH tunnel capability in the client is nice for hosts that are
> > only one jump away.
>
> It works for multiple jumps too.  You just have to enable X11
> forwarding either in the appropriate config files or do it on the
> commandline.  Note that it's possible that a severely paranoid
> sysadmin may well have disabled it in the sshd service on one or more
> of the machines that you're ssh'ing to.
>
> # my workstation has ForwardX11=yes in ~/.ssh/config
> ssh host1
>
> # then from there:
> ssh -X host2
>
> On host 2, running a gui app pops it up on my local desktop.

You misunderstand me :-) I specified "in the client", referring to the
Workbench app, not the SSH client.

ssh-level jumps have always been possible, and work with whatever too you
want them to. The convenience of the Workbench-integrated jump, is that I
don't have to bother setting up the tunnel manually, remember what
particular host I tied to what particular local IP/port combo, et cetera.

I've not just the one server to admin, you know - I just ordered 20 licenses
for ZRM backup, to cover the most important machines. The rest of them
aren't important enough to warrant that cost, they'll manage fine with a
nightly dump.

So, as I said; I use workbench (occasionally) for hosts that are 0 or 1 jump
away; for the rest I just go there through plain SSH and do stuff
commandline.