Hello,

A few days ago I ran into Error 1045 when attempting to add a new database user to my development machine. The error only occurred when trying to connect to the database as a new user which I found a little odd. After searching Google I discovered that this error is caused by a timeout - I should probably mention that my development machine is Win7 Ultimate 64-bit; I was using MySQL 5.1.45.

Having no luck solving error 1045 I chose to uninstall MySQL and re-install the most up to date version from mysql.com being 5.1.50, again choosing Windows 64-bit. To uninstall I first went to the control panel to remove MySQL, however this did not remove the Windows service. I did find that running the installer file will remove existing services - which is how I was finally able to remove it. I believe I've now gotten as close to a clean uninstall of MySQL as I can at this point. When I run the installer now it gets up to the final processing configuration stage, but when it attempts to apply security settings I'm again presented with the dreaded error 1045 Access denied for user 'r...@localhost' (using password: YES).

The error message goes on to suggest that I open TCP port 3306 in my firewall. This machine came pre-installed with McAfee AntiVirus Plus - for good or bad it's worked fine for me up until this point. I've opened port 3306 under Ports and System Services; yet the error still persists.

Any thoughts on what I can do now?

TIA,
-Tim