That's pretty much it, indeed. You need to make absolutely sure that no more
connections can be made to the old, broken master, though - even if you have
to physically pull the network or power cable. Failover services refer to
this as STONITH: Shoot The Other Node In The Head.

Don't think "but it went down anyway, that's why I failed over" - sometimes
the service unexpectedly manages to recover itself after you've switched;
and any data that gets inserted into the wrong system is as good as lost,
unless you want to go through a manual reconciliation before reinitialising
the replication.