On 10/25/2010 3:03 AM, Johan De Meersman wrote:

SSD may still be useful if you have a lot of writes, though.

Only if by "a lot" you mean "a minority".

A lone 2 TB rotating disk will beat a top-of-the-line SSD for linear writes, and you can beat an SSD for linear reads with a pair of disks in RAID-0 or -1, or four disks in RAID-10. (Or, I suppose, some huge number of spindles in RAID-5 or -6, but I've never seen such an array big enough to be called fast at writes.) SSDs have a clearer advantage for random I/O, a useful property for databases, but still, you shouldn't ignore the fact that SSD writes are expensive.

Therefore, you get the SSD speed benefit only if writes are rare enough that more data is coming off the drive at any given time than is being written, or if your current disk subsystem is bottlenecked by rotating disk head seek time, or some combination.

Since the original poster is using RAID-10, it's definitely not a sure deal that replacing that array with a single SSD will help.

However, it might be entertaining to benchmark it against 4 SSDs in RAID-10. Or 8. :)

Incidentally, i'm not aware of how SSD plays with hard/software RAID setups
- anyone know more about this ?

Some software RAID and RAID-like systems are gaining SSD awareness so they can intentionally place frequently-accessed data on the SSD.