Probably indexes need to be rebuilt using myisamchk after you changed the data
type of the index columns. Apart from that I can't see why your query is not
using the indexes. Is it possible that the cardinality of the column values is
so low that indexes are not being used? You could try and run a ANALYZE TABLE
(or myismachk -a for MyISAM tables) and  then a "SHOW INDEX" to see the
cardinality information for these key columns.

Thanks
Aveek