Machiel,

Each table will be write locked while it is being altered so this will most likely impact the application. In addition to the write lock, the conversion causes each table to be completely rewritten in the new format so this will have a high impact on IO write activity and so it will impact overall IO throughput. If your application is mostly reads, is well cached in memory, and the tables are small this should be pretty fast and relatively pain free. If you aren't sure about the impact and conversion time you may want to restore a backup of the database to another location and run through the conversion while monitoring performance numbers.

Tyler

On 11/22/10 5:55 AM, Machiel Richards wrote:
Thank you John

       I have in the meantime fond this to be the case (** someone
changed config files without my knowledge it seems as this was setup
properly and working**)

         Anyhow, in order for the innodb to be active again I need to
restart the database, however aftewards I assume the tables will still
be MyIsam.

         In this event I will need to manually alter each table, and I am
concerned about the impact of this on the system performance.

Regards
Machiel

-----Original Message-----
From: John Daisley<daisleyj...@googlemail.com>
To: Machiel Richards<machiel.richa...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:51:23 +0000

I have frequently seen Innodb 'silently' disabled if the
innodb_log_file_size is different to the files size on disk (quite
common when moving systems about). You wont be able to use innodb until
you resolve this either by deleting the log files and restarting
mysqld so they get recreated or changing the innodb_log_file_size to
match the size of the files on disk.

If the Innodb engine is not available then MySQL will use the default
(usually MyISAM) storage engine even if Innodb was specified. You can
stop this behaviour by setting sql-mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

Regards

John

On 22 November 2010 10:12, Machiel Richards<machiel.richa...@gmail.com>