Start mysqld with --skip-grant-tables option, give an update on the root
password, mentioning the new password the you want to put for your access
with root user and be happy.

Well, make some like this:

shell> mysqld --skip-grant-tables

Open another tty, terminal or prompt:

shell> mysql
mysql> update mysql.user set password = PASSWORD('12345') where user ='root'
and host = 'localhost';
mysql> \q

Stop MySQL...

# Linux or Unix
shell> /etc/init.d/mysql restart

# MS Windows
C:\> net stop MySQL
C:\> net start MySQL

And the, create a new connection with MySQL Serber using user new password.

Best regards.
--
WB