(Assuming you are on Linux)

Take a look at the output of: iostate -xk 60

The output will update every 60 secs. Take a look at the value in the %util
column after a few updates, if it's around 90% you have become disk bound
and you'll need to figure out a way to decrease some load on the disk. You
may need to increase the size of innodb_buffer_pool if you DB is mostly
innodb tables. Add more RAM to the server if needed. You may also want to
add more disks to your disk array (assuming you have one). Move logs from
this disk array to another (binary logs, query logs, etc).

You can also look at your rkB/s (reads) and wkB/s (writes). If you are read
heavy, you may need to change the kind of RAID you are using for one that
performs better when reading. Same goes for write heavy, pick the best RAID
for your use.

HTH