The behaviour of mixed reads/write o your system is heavily dependant
on what types of tables you are using.  The fully ACID tables types,
most notably InnoDB support that model far better than MyISAM tables..
 Not to discount the value of measuring your raw i/o performance, but
first we should determine how your data is being stored.

 - michael

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Steve Staples <sstap...@mnsi.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been noticing a little lag in my application lately,  it seems as
> if 1 table in 1 database is getting slower to read from.   Mind you,
> that table is being accessed a LOT of times per second every hour of
> every day, and then the "application" searches on this same table too.
>
> In my sandbox, it is fast to search (as there is no other reads/queries
> on that table), so i don't think it is disk i/o (but you never know
> right?).  I've also double checked all the indexing, to insure indexes
> are used.
>
> What I was wondering is, are the reads/queries simultaneous, or are they
> sequential?  would symlinking the file to another db make any difference
> (or is that even possible)?
>
> any insight would be appreciated, or even any ideas on what I may do to
> increase the performance, or even how to measure where the issue could
> be would help as well.
>
> Steve
>

> --

 - michael dykman