I think the version CentOS (5.5) wants to use is 5.0.77-log. I don't think
CentOS will be updating the repository 5.5 uses for updates to any later
version of mysql.

I just completed two MySQL 5.5 installs on some RHEL machines by using the
remi repository. I followed this guide here:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-mysql-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/

<http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-mysql-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/>Install
went well, server runs great. I'd suggest going with 5.5.

JW

--
Johnny Withers