I'm currently using a 166 UNIX machine for a dedicated MySQL database,
and I'm interested in knowing what kind of speed I should be expecting
from it. I ask because right now it's at a point of being unusable even
for development on some of the larger queries.

I compiled MySQL 3.23.37 myself with -O6's -march-i586 and various
./configure options I don't remeber. The database I'm using has 3 tables
of about 9 thousand entries, un-indexed decimal(5,8)'s, and a few
tinytext's. There are 168 columns. A query like 'SELECT 97TotalAssets,
98TotalAssets FROM Business WHERE SIC='112'' will take a good 5 seconds.
Any more useful of a query will take up to 90 seconds. All the queries are
SELECT's.

Is there something I can do, or am I going to need something faster than a
166?

Thanks
Chris