>> The ability to lock non-existent records is critical.
>
>I concur, although this is just a transaction consisting of 1 statement :).
>--
[JS] As the Three Musketeers used to say, "One for all and all for one!"

Peter, I couldn't even //understand// that paragraph about key gaps. The
document writers might have assumed that this aspect of locking was universal
and well known, and didn't think it needed explanation.

As for MS SQL Server, I would be dumbfounded if it worked differently; but
I've been dumbfounded before by software design.

My standard answer for "Why does it work that way?" is "I am not a mental
health professional, nor do I play one on TV."

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated
195 Farmington Ave.