Forgive  my bluntness, but IMO it is silly to attempt to retrieve a 100,000
rows, except for reporting purposes, and in that case, said reports ought to
run against a replica, not the OLTP instance.

Far better, IMO, is to present (in the UI) an alphabet as buttons, plus a
textbox for refinements. The alphabet buttons cause the recordSource to
change to something like "SELECT * FROM Clients WHERE ClientName LIKE 'A*'.
Click the B button and the RecordSource changes to "SELECT * FROM Clients
WHERE ClientName LIKE 'B*'. IMO, such an interface gives the user all the
power she needs, and costs the system as little as possible.

To accomplish this, all you need is a sproc that accepts one parameter, that
being the letter corresponding to the letter-button the user pressed.

I have implemented exactly this solution on a table with only half the
number of rows you cite, but it works beautifully and it is quick as
lightning.

HTH,
Arthur