----- Original Message -----
> From: "Alex Schaft" <al...@quicksoftware.co.za>
>
> I realize that, I'm just trying to stop the phone calls saying "I
> started a restore, and my pc just froze...."
>
> I might just read all the single insert lines, and get a whole lot of
> values clauses together before passing it on to get around the
> performance issue while having some idea of progress.

Wouldn't it be better to educate your users, then? :-) Much less trouble for
you.

Either that, or just do the windows thing: print a progress bar that goes to
95% in ten seconds, then run the entire restore and then progress the remaining
5% :-p

You could probably write a sed script that intersperses the INSERT INTO lines
with some form of progress printing. I remain convinced that users simply need
to learn patience, though.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn