On 2011/10/20 03:43 PM, Johan De Meersman wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Schaft"<al...@quicksoftware.co.za>

I realize that, I'm just trying to stop the phone calls saying "I
started a restore, and my pc just froze...."

I might just read all the single insert lines, and get a whole lot of
values clauses together before passing it on to get around the
performance issue while having some idea of progress.
Wouldn't it be better to educate your users, then? :-) Much less trouble for
you.

Either that, or just do the windows thing: print a progress bar that goes to
95% in ten seconds, then run the entire restore and then progress the remaining
5% :-p

You could probably write a sed script that intersperses the INSERT INTO lines
with some form of progress printing. I remain convinced that users simply need
to learn patience, though.

Got my app reading in a dump created with extended-inserts off, and lumping all of the insert statements together. Works like a charm