If you changed the value in the .cnf and restarting the server did not pick
up he change, I would hazard a guess that the .cnf file you edited is not
the one your server is reading.

Check your paths and make sure you are editing the correct file.  MySL
never rewrites it's own config files to reflect manually changed values.

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdyk...@gmail.com

 May the Source be with you.