On 2011-12-02, Tim Dunphy <bluethu...@jokefire.com> wrote:

> Thanks but I probably should have noted that I only want to delete the
> wildcard user. There are other users I would prefer to not delete.
>
> mysql> select user,host from mysql.user where user='mail_admin';
> +------------+-----------------------+
>| user       | host                  |
> +------------+-----------------------+
>| mail_admin | %                     |
>| mail_admin | 127.0.0.1             |
>| mail_admin | localhost             |
>| mail_admin | localhost.localdomain |
> +------------+-----------------------+
> 4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

This is just a regular table with a user and host column.  If you wanted
to delete the localhost row, you'd do

delete from mysql.user where user='mail_admin' and host='localhost';
flush privileges;

You'd need to flush privileges because you're munging the user table.
But it's probably much better to use the DROP USER command.

--keith

--
kkeller-use...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)