I am not sure that the db engineers should look into supporting recursive
optimizations. That sounds to me like a waste of their time, and conversely
an investment in your (my) time. This kind of thing is far too app-specific
to generalize into an all-encompassing algorithm, IMO, and even if it could
be done, I would rather the engineers spend their time on more significant
problems.

Just my $0.02.
Arthur