Many of you are missing the big picture. This flag (along with most of the
others you can use to describe a stored procedure) are meant to indicate to the
replication system whether it needs to log the CALL to this procedure and in
which format.

Statements that only collect data (and don't even write to temporary tables) do
not need to be written into the binary log. Any stored procedures that change a
table, even if it's a temporary table, need to be marked as MODIFIES_SQL_DATA.
<<<<<<<<
This answers my question! that the flags are for the replicator. I had the idea
that they were for the optimizer. In spite of my sharp comments, I know that in
general it is impossible to determine whether any program does anything, a
reason for the compiler not to enforce the flags on any procedure.