I would suggest trying:

mysqldump -uroot -p myDBname myTableName > /tmp/myTestDumpedTable.sql

Maybe you don't have permission (or space) to write into /usr/local/mysql/bin.
That would
be an unusual place for such files.

On 12/29/11 9:15 AM, Govinda wrote:
Hi Everyone

This should be quick and simple, but after researching on Google quite a bit I
am still stumped. I am mostly newbie with: server admin, CLI, MySQL.

I am developing my PHP site locally, and now need to move some new MySQL tables
from my local dev setup to the remote testing site. First step for me is just
to dump the tables, one at a time.

I successfully login to my local MySQL like so:
Govind% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -uroot

but while in this dir (and NOT logged into MySQL):
/usr/local/mysql/bin

...when I try this:
mysqldump -uroot -p myDBname myTableName>  myTestDumpedTable.sql

..then I keep getting this:
myTestDumpedTable.sql: Permission denied.

Same result if I do any variation on that (try to dump the whole db, drop the
'-p', etc.)

On StackOverflow I asked this question [1], and replies there led me to trying
being logged in as root user, and then (the same):
mysqldump -uroot -p myDBname myTableName>  myTestDumpedTable.sql

produces:
sh: mysqldump: command not found

...which is odd because it does produce a zero-KB file named
"myTestDumpedTable.sql" in that dir.

So then I try (in Mac OS X Terminal, while logged in as me (not root)):
mysqldump -uroot -p myDBname myTableName>  ~/myTestDumpedTable.sql

...and again it produces:
sh: mysqldump: command not found...

and again a zero-KB file named "myTestDumpedTable.sql", in ~/

I am embarrassed as I am sure this is going to be incredibly simple, or just
reveal a gaping (basic) hole in my knowledge. .. but I would appreciate any
help ;-)

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8663454/why-does-basic-mysqldump-on-db-table-fail-with-permission-denied

Thanks