my 0,02

I think I used standard path only the first installation of MySQL in 2002,
after that I always I had my custom way of installing it which lead me
to be able to have *any* number of instances of any independent
version.
After some years I saw Giuseppe Maxia's Sandbox which is a nice
'packaging' of that idea.
I never use if possible standard directories which are a heritage of
the very first idea of unix (multiple users use same tools on a
machine),
I think today is really out of date, today you need to tune and twist
the system at your needs to get the best out of it.
With my technique for instance you can setup a mysql cluster on one
machine(for testing purposes) without the overhead of virtualization.
In my opinion the OS should be an abstraction of the hardware and the
software as independent as possible from it.
So, software and data and anything else on /whatever mounted on some
safe storage and just /etc for startup scripts,
in this way you can switch server and still retain all your software
with all the benefits you guys well know.

Claudio

--
Claudio