Am 10.01.2012 12:44, schrieb Johan De Meersman:

> I suppose the assumption is that any client needs the server version to
> figure out
> the compatible set of capabilities, as there is no separate protocol
> versioning afaik.

sure? what's the binary between version and "mysql_native_password"?

5.5.19-log�voI^}{rL��a'9,l]o7_\1}mysql_native_password

> I suppose you could change the version in the source to the lowest that has
> the
> full featureset you need.

hmm - all servers/clients are Fedora with the same versions :-)
mysql 5.5 would be enough i guess, but how to create a patch for
rpmbuild which must not be permanently changed for every mysql update