On 06/02/12 13:33, Larry Martell wrote:
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Chris Tate-Davies
<chris.tatedav...@inflightproductions.com>  wrote:
Have you tried:

mysql --verbose -u<username>  -p<password>

To output more information
When would I use that? If I try to start it with 'service mysqld
start' it fails to start.

From terminal command...

just try typing it, like this:

mysql --verbose -u <username> -p<password>