On 2/4/2012 19:57, Larry Martell wrote:
Just installed mysql on centos 6.2. When I try to start it with service I get:

#service mysqld start
MySQL Daemon failed to start.
Starting mysqld:                                           [FAILED]

Nothing at all is written to the error log.

But if I start it with mysqld_safe it comes up and works fine.

Anyone know what could be going on here?

-larry

If the daemon is attempting to change users during startup, then you must be root when you start it. Otherwise, become the user `mysql` then start the daemon (service) under the proper credentials.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/server-options.html#option_mysqld_user

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN