switch to innodb...

and use one_file_per_table

I use both, but I try to use myisam for cataloges.

Innodb and myisam are truly different engines, they do things completely
different, for example, with myisam you have parameters to configure the
size of the memory for the indexes, and several others, meanwhile most of
innodb performase is bound to innodb buffer pools, and with the newerst
mysql version, yo
u can have several innodb buffer pools lowering your mutex wait a lot...

Also you can switch from myisam to innodb quickly, for that type of tasks,
I do a mysqldump with tab formatted texts because it gives 2 files per
table, 1 file with the sql query to create de database and other, tab
delimited file with all the data of that table, to be used with mysqlimport

For a properly recommendation, we would need to know much more about the
system using the database, some statistics...

What is the database used for?