Some mixture.  Perhaps 35% of RAM for buffer_pool and 10% for key_buffer.  It
depends on which needs more caching.

Note:  The key_buffer does not need to be bigger than the total of all MyISAM
indexes (Index_length in SHOW TABLE STATUS, or size of .MYI files).  The
buffer_pool does not need to be bigger than the total of data+index for InnoDB
files.