James...
>* By doing all the indexes after building the table (or at least all the
>non-UNIQUE indexes), "sort merge" can be used.  This technique had been highly
>optimized over the past half-century, and is more efficient.

I have a question about "sort merge":

Why does it do the all "sort merge"?

In my opinion, it just maintains the B tree and inserts one key into a B tree
node which has fewer sorted keys, so it is good performance.

If it only does the "sort merge", the B tree data structure have to been
createdseparately. it wastes some performance.

Does it?