Maybe.

1. The "Rows" is approximate, so you could over-shoot or under-shoot the end of
the table.

2. OFFSET (limit $r,1) still has to scan $r rows.

3. SELECT * with an OFFSET will read the entire rows.  SELECT `foo`, where
`foo` is indexed, but not the InnoDB PRIMARY KEY, will scan only the
INDEX(foo).  This is likely to be much faster.  But you are unlikely to do that
unless foo is UNIQUE.

A slight improvement (addressing both issues) is to decide which end to
approach from.  But scanning from the end needs an ORDER BY, preferably on the
PRIMARY KEY.

etc.