There should be little or no difference.

If you are using thousands of tables, you might encounter overhead in opening
the .ibd files.
If you are tight on disk space, a single ibdata1 might be more efficient at
reusing free blocks.
OTOH, if you shrink or drop a big table, the freed space is not returned to the
OS if you have a singe ibdata1.

In most cases, I recommend innodb_file_per_table=1.