there is performance issues with a larger number of datafiles than a
single, that the reason innodb_file_per_table in not a default option.

other, with innodb_file_per_table, you'll use more resources, there can be
a problem if you have _many_ tables, there is obviously the problem to
keep number of open files (open tables / table_cache /
table_definition_cache) to manage. (Ofcourse, myisam tables always had that
issue).

Netx, with single file, table space can be shared between rows of different
tables and schemas. This means less wasted tablespace. where, with
innodb_file_per_table, each table may have unused tablspace, which can only
be utilized by rows of the same table. This means (sometimes much) more
wasted tablespace

but still innodb_file_per_table is preferable, this lead to a disk space
issue, since the ibdata1 file grew to 90G+ and it was not possible to
defragment tablespace using the Alter method (Infact is is hardly possible
to do in a production environment, since it leads to a huge downtime.)