The parens are for making sure the parsing works correctly.  Probably either
one works fine.  Suggest you do
  EXPLAIN EXTENDED ...;
  SHOW WARNINGS;
I suspect that the output from each will be identical, and have more parens.

The main need for parens is to avoid associating the ORDER BY with just the
second SELECT.