For those interested 5.5.25a has been released overnight, long after
oracle claimed it was there.
frankly., I think they ought to have use 5.5.26.

To those who replied to me directly, a few facts...

1/ it never affected me directly - my gripe with them was on principle
and their actions (or lack thereof) towards those that were affected

2/ to the wanker who said people deserve what they get for untesting on
DEV bed first ...  this is true  _IF_ it was a major release.
    (as I hope we all do)   _BUT_  you don't expect to get fucked over
by a point release, to have that happen, shows incompetence    on the
part of the software developer, not the users.