So we changed the table from MyISAM to InnoDB. I read that the 'undo
log entries' shown in 'show engine innodb status' would correspond to
the number of rows that have been operated on throughout the process
of the ALTER. The table we're altering has 115,096,205 rows, and the
alter's been running for 28 hours, and the undo log entries is 9309.
Also that number seems to go up and down. So clearly, it's not what I
think.

So anyone know a way to monitor the status of the alter now that it's
an InnoDB table?