(Sorry; these are random notes, not well structured for your questions.)

&#...; -- This is an "html entity".  It is plain ascii, but _represents_ (in an
HTML contect) some special character.  Some details:
http://htmltimes.com/html-special-characters.php
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/quotes-in-html.html

That is, $#...; is not a character set issue in MySQL.  Most CHARACTER SETs
(latin1, utf8, etc) will handle them the same.  And they will continue to
render on an HTML page as the 'funky characters'.  That's HTML doing the deed
in the browser.

The ALTERs did nothing because there was nothing to do.

I don't know what process converted from '"' to “.

The utf8 equivalent:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/201c/index.htm
It would be hex e2809c (3 bytes).

The "correct" way is to get the utf8 encoding from the <form>, and store that
in a utf8-declared column in the table.

If you already have utf8 bytes in your latin1 fields, it gets messier.

hex 22 is the 'straight' ascii double quote.  8220 and 8221 are the "curved"
double quotes.  A common convention is to translate both curved ones to the
single straight one.  But that would be work for you to explicitly do.

If you are using PHP, see functions htmlentities() and html_entity_decode().