Hi!

Sasha> On Tuesday 19 June 2001 17:43, Russell E Glaue wrote:
>> > . After you've pulled, run BUILD/compile-pentium (for a lean fast binary)
>> > or BUILD/compile-pentium-debug - it will build a binary for you.
>>
>> We run all our MySQLs on the fast SPARCs and PPCs
>> is pentium the only supported hardware right now?

Sasha> No, but we do not have a nifty compile-solaris-sparc-debug in the BUILD
Sasha> directory yet, largely because none of our developers uses a Sparc for their
Sasha> primary development machine. We do have compile-solaris-sparc, though, and
Sasha> even compile-solaris-sparc-purify. Feel free to copy one of those, hack it
Sasha> and send it to us.

Sasha> On most platforms, BUILD/compile-pentium should build a good binary even if
Sasha> the architecture is not a pentium.

This is not really true, as BUILD/compile-pentium will include
compiler options that only works on Intel (and not sparc)

Another thing is that you should normally never use scripts in the BUILD
options if you are not working on developing MySQL, as these scripts
require that you have a lot of extra tools installed.

To do a correct build on Solaris sparc you should use the
following configure line:

CFLAGS="-O3" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti  -O3
-fno-omit-frame-pointer" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --enable-assembler
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static

You can find more information about this in the MySQL manual in the
Solaris section.

Regards,
Monty