On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Michael Widenius wrote:

> Hi!

> >> We run all our MySQLs on the fast SPARCs and PPCs
> >> is pentium the only supported hardware right now?
>
> Sasha> No, but we do not have a nifty compile-solaris-sparc-debug in the BUILD
> Sasha> directory yet, largely because none of our developers uses a Sparc for their
> Sasha> primary development machine. We do have compile-solaris-sparc, though, and
> Sasha> even compile-solaris-sparc-purify. Feel free to copy one of those, hack it
> Sasha> and send it to us.
>
> Sasha> On most platforms, BUILD/compile-pentium should build a good binary even if
> Sasha> the architecture is not a pentium.
>
> This is not really true, as BUILD/compile-pentium will include
> compiler options that only works on Intel (and not sparc)
>
> Another thing is that you should normally never use scripts in the BUILD
> options if you are not working on developing MySQL, as these scripts
> require that you have a lot of extra tools installed.
>
> To do a correct build on Solaris sparc you should use the
> following configure line:
>

> CFLAGS="-O3" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
> -fno-rtti -O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer" ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --enable-assembler
> --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static
>
> You can find more information about this in the MySQL manual in the
> Solaris section.
>
> Regards,
> Monty

Thanks Monty.
I am interested in testing the 4.0 development tree for PPC Darwin and
Solaris 8, both which are my primary development/production archs.

-RG
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer & Integrator  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 WIU, 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455
 http://www.cait.org