Oh, another issue...

If you have your disk partitioned, and the tmpdir is pointing to a "small"
partition, you could run out of room for that reason.

I sometimes find a tiny boot partition (not a terrible idea), plus partitions
for /tmp, /var /usr, and maybe others.  (Or C:, D:, etc, if you are that type
of person.)

Hence, I _dislike_ splitting disks into separate filesystems.