personally i use ONLY vmware-guests for any production
servers because HA/Failover and unified managmenent and
a really easy way to resize drives for /var/log, /vbar/cache, /tmp
and hwatever mountpoint holds data - all seperated from /boot and rootfs

so it is no problem to use a own DISk for /tmp or
configure the mysql-temp-fodler to a folder on a large
enough disk

it is really simple to calculate - largest table + 50% for mysqltemp

running out of disk space is simply the result of a config mistake
or missing to watch growing data