Those tests are typically used by people developing the mysqld server.
The packages distributed have already had the tests ran on them. I'm
not sure how much value it will provide unless you're modifying
mysqld.

I don't have a great answer but my best guess is that extern can't be
used with tests that start or stop mysqld servers like the replication
tests.

--
Eric Bergen
eric.ber...@gmail.com