OK I got it to work.

I dumped the tables that it was complaining about first, and then
dumped the triggers.

I then uninstalled anything to do with mysql, and installed 5.1

Then imported the tables and triggers, and and able to run
mysql_upgrade without any errors.

This is all without using a full mysqldump.

I am now going to go from 5.1 to 5.5