2013/3/21 Miguel González Castaños <miguel_3_gonza...@yahoo.es>

> Dear all,
>
>    I have a pretty simple setup. A LAMP server in production and a
> failover LAMP server in case the main server is down.
>
>    I have been searching around to find out a clear answer of how to
> proceed when you need to promote a MySQL 5.5 slave server when the master
> (also 5.5) has crashed.
>
>    So far I have read that if the master crashes I should issue an stop
> slave in the slave server and restart the mysql service (otherwise the
> master info is still kept in memory) with a skip-start-slave setting. Is
> that right? Is that all?

Hi Miguel,

Do you have a master-master replication between them? How is the failover
over done? Do you just move a VIP between them?
Anyways, there's no need to do stop slave or restar MySQL service in the
new master...you just need to set it active (move the VIP, pointing your
Apache manually to write to it, however you do it).

What you have to make sure though is about the read_only parameter. Make
sure the new master comes back to life with read_only = ON just to avoid
any problems. The standby master should always have read_only = ON until it
becomes active.

Manuel.