[AM] If you've the option to use MySQL 5.6 then managing replication is a lot
simpler and more reliable...
http://www.clusterdb.com/mysql-replication/mysql-5-6-ga-replication-enhancements/

MySQL 5.6 Failing over is described in section 5 of
http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql-replication-tutorial/ - note
that the paper deals with a more complex scenario where there are multiple
slaves and so you could simplify.