> 1) Enable log-bin on master2 (slave that will be converted to a master)
That does not 'convert' it -- it makes it both a Master and a Slave (a "Relay").

The CHANGE MASTER is probably correct, but it is difficult to find the right
spot.
A simple way is to
1. Stop all writes everywhere.
2. Wait for replication to catchup everywhere.
3. FLUSH LOGS everywhere.
4. Now CHANGE MASTER on the Slave to the start (POS=0 or 4) of the freshly
created binlog in the machine that is the Slave's new Master.
5. Start writes.