From: "Rick James" <rja...@yahoo-inc.com>
Sent: ‎10-‎05-‎2013 07:24
To: "Bruce Ferrell" <bferr...@baywinds.org>; "mysql@lists.mysql.com"
<mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Subject: RE: Slow Response -- What Does This Sound Like to You?

1. MyISAM locks _tables_.  That can cause other connections to be blocked.
Solution: switch to InnoDB.  Caution:  There are a few caveats when switching;
see
https://kb.askmonty.org/en/converting-tables-from-myisam-to-innodb/

2. As mentioned by Shawn, the Query Cache can be more trouble than it is worth.
 However 90 seconds cannot be blamed on the QC.  Still, shrink it or turn it
off:
* If frequently writing to tables, turn it off (type=OFF _and_ size=0)
* If less frequently, then decide which queries will benefit, add SQL_CACHE to
them, set type=DEMAND and size=50M (no larger).

3. Meanwhile, try to make that long query more efficient.  Can you show it to
us, together with SHOW CREATE TABLE, SHOW TABLE STATUS, and EXPLAIN ?