Problem is that I don't set the timestamp variable anywhere (except yesterday as
a test to try and fix the problem). This is stuff that has been working
correctly
for many months. We had some network/dns and load issues over the last couple of
days, and the mysql clock is frozen at:

mysql> select now();
+---------------------+
| now()               |
+---------------------+
| 2013-06-26 02:27:14 |
+---------------------+

While the machine/system date is:

$ date
Thu Jun 27 09:15:25 PDT 2013

I had actually planned to restart the mysql instance on this server last night,
but there
was a miscommunication, and that will have to wait for tonight.

Once suggestion I got was to explicitly set the global timezone value, but
can't do that
because we didn't load the timezone tables.

Guess we have to wait for tonight.

thanks, guys

Andy