What setting(s) did you change to move to the separate partition?
   SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%bin%';
   SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%dir%';
   (there may be other VARIABLES worth checking)
What steps did you take for the move?  (Actually move bin.1?  Start over?  etc?)

Consider using expire_logs_days.

5.0 -- I don't think anything relevant has changed during 4.0 thru 5.6.