Hello Egoitz,

On 7/15/2013 1:35 PM, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea wrote:

On 15/07/13 17:27, Reindl Harald wrote:

... snip...
i would say my caches are working perfectly (not only the mysql
cache, also opcache etc.) since whe have generate times down to
0.006 seconds for a typical CMS page here which runs in more than
200 installations on the main machine, at high load mysqld is
never the problem

without the query cache the overall performance drops by 30-40%

Hi,

The query cache hit rate is near 90%.... so I assume it's doing all
properly... now I'm using 1GB as cache.... but... I will do some
tries... till I see some significant behavior either due to success or
failure... I was basically wondering what did you though about
performance penalty due to the mysql cache... just that...

Thank you very much then....
... signature snipped ...

Until we redesign the query cache, those stalls will remain. It is unwize to keep so many sets of query results around if they are not actually being used.

As has been covered already, the freeze required to perform the purge of all results associated with a specific table can at times be extended (durations of 20-30 minutes are not unusual with cache sizes around 1GB). What you may find is that even if some of your results are reused frequently for a short period of time, they are not reused at all beyond a certain moment. This means you have hundreds or thousands of sets of query results sitting idle in your cache. Reduce the size of your cache until you start to see your reuse rate or efficiency rate decline significantly. You may be surprised how small that is for your workload.

To achieve scalability: customize your cache structures to your workload (this may mean caching the results somewhere other than MySQL), optimize your tables for efficient storage and retrieval, and optimize your queries to be as efficient as practical. There are other scalability options such as replication and sharding that can also be introduced into your production environment to reduce the cost of computation on each copy (or portion) of your data. However, this is a topic best handled in a separate thread.

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN